A native of Slovenia, Vera moved to the U.S. 20+ years ago after meeting her American husband. Together with their two children they live on the North Shore of Chicago.
A long time marketer, Vera has always loved travel and learning about new places and cultures. She takes pride in her role as the family travel director, enthusiastically researching and planning their travel adventures. Regardless of the destination, Vera’s family likes to wander off the beaten path, seeking unique sights and experiences to make their travels especially memorable. An active and adventurous family, some of their favorite travel memories include desert horseback riding in Mexico, night kayaking in Puerto Rico, paddle boarding in Hawaii, zip lining in lush rainforests of Costa Rica, dog sledding in the snowy hills of Canada, and hiking high in the Slovene Alps.
Complementing their love of travel is the family’s passion for food. At home, Vera loves cooking up a storm in their kitchen with the rest of the family serving as her eager sous-chefs and pastry assistants. When they travel, Vera’s family feels that sampling the food is one of the best ways to experience the local scene. They feel equally comfortable at the hottest five-star gourmet restaurants or hole-in-the-wall places only the locals know about. Some of the adventurous dishes they have tried on their world travels include iguana stew in Curaçao, pig ears in Brazil, ostrich and kangaroo steaks in Australia and chicken feet in New York’s Chinatown.
Follow Vera on Instagram: @passportsandspice
- Always in my purse/bag: iPhone, lip gloss, and hand sanitizer.
- Best kid distraction on a plane: Electronics. It’s the one place where we suspend our parental limits.
- Plane, train, or automobile: Plane, no question.
- Best packing tip: Packing cubes and a list.
- I’d be in trouble if I forgot to pack: My camera. I love capturing our travel memories so we can revisit them years later in our photo albums.