Mary SMary lives in San Diego, California with her husband, 13 year-old daughter and 10 year-old son. She was born in the Philippines, grew up in the U.S. territory of Guam, and believes all those years of island fever ignited her serious case of wanderlust. She currently works full time as a database developer and computer programmer. She also writes about the family’s travels along with tips and guides on her blog, The World Is a Book.
Being in a technical field, Mary needed a creative outlet to challenge other parts of her brain, but also wanted to inspire other families to travel. She aspires to instill the love of travel and exploration in her children so that they become global citizens. She has traveled to over 45 countries (30+ with the kids) and loves cruises, National Parks, and museums, from art to quirky.
- Dream Vacation: African Safari.
- Ski bum or beach bum: As an island girl at heart, beach bum all the way.
- Best packing tip: Use compression packing/space bags for more room.
- Plane, train, or automobile: Definitely plane—the faster the better to get to my destination.
- I’d be in trouble if I forgot to pack: At the risk of sounding like a teenager, my iPhone.
Follow Mary on Instagram: @worldisabook