Eugene CEugene lives in the San Francisco Bay Area. He and his wife have taken their two children to over 10 countries for work and vacation. Eugene is a Pastor by day and trip dreamer by night. For fun, he has been a volunteer consultant (mystery diner) for a national restaurant consulting company for the past ten years. Eugene’s favorite part of traveling is actually the pre-trip planning. He uses online tools such as Google (Maps, Flights, Earth), YouTube, TripAdvisor, Kayak, and MenuPages. “Monumental decisions are made months in advance.” In reality, his family planning strategy is not to over-plan trips, but to do and see two things a day. The key is to be first at major sites. “Beat the crowd at the beginning of the day and avoid them near the end. After two hours, the kids are ready for a break anyway.” Look for his travel tools, strategies, and experiences on Hilton Mom Voyage.
- Travel Essentials: Packing list, ear plugs, eye sleep covers, and lactose pills.
- Favorite Country: Thailand. Eat well without taking out a second mortgage.
- Unsustainable Souvenir Collection: Starbucks mugs.
- Most useful travel gear: Travel adapters for all of our electronic gear.
- Countries visiting later this year with kids: Turkey, Israel, Jordan.
- Favorite thing to do in a foreign country: Visit the markets where locals shop for food.
- Best strategy to keep kids going: Ice cream breaks.