Amy grew up in Southern California but has lived all over the globe. Her latest move brought her to Panama City, Florida, where she lives with her husband and three little girls, ages 7, 5, and 21 months. An avid cook and self-taught pastry chef, Amy owns a custom home bakery where her epicurean creations are almost always inspired by her travels and experiences, whether oceans away or close to home.
As one who has never been apt to sit still and a husband in the Air Force, her on-the-go lifestyle is often times more comforting than being at home. She loves being on the road and her favorite way to explore the world is through food, craft beer, local wines, and street markets. Many of her family’s travels include triathlons, marathons, or athletic endeavors for her husband, herself, or her girls. Their favorite way to really take in iconic locales like Paris, Zurich, Disneyworld, or Big Sur is to pound the pavement. Whether they’re packed into their car Tetris-style, taking up two rows on a plane, or traveling sideways in a train’s sightseer lounge, her family is constantly venturing near and far in search of their “favorite” vacation spot and the best thing they have ever eaten.
As a military spouse with the youngest kids on our team, Amy brings a fresh perspective to traveling with little ones and challenges that include being a Sherpa, changing diapers in teeny-tiny airplane lavatories, and nursing on the go. She also promises to keep your bellies nice and full with deliciously authentic gastronomic adventures.
- Favorite Airline: Singapore Airlines.
- Most useful packing tip: The Eagle Creek Pack-It System. It’s magical. It’s a sanity-saver. Each of my girls has a different colored set and it makes packing and daily dressing remarkably easier.
- Best traveling-with-kids tip: Always bring a thermometer and Tylenol/Motrin. Fevers always like to spike at the most inopportune times and dreadfully inconvenient places.
- Favorite safety tip when traveling with kids: Before heading out each day, snap a quick picture of your kids with your phone. If they get lost or something unexpected happens, you have a foolproof visual aid of exactly what they were wearing and what they looked like that day. And RoadID bracelets; every member of our family wears one.
- Always in my purse/bag: Aquafor, baby wipes, hand sanitizer, and $20 hidden inside the zippered pocket.
- I’d be in trouble if I forgot: My kids’ nighttime snuggies and my Military ID, because that one card unlocks countless discounts and doubles as our proof of medical insurance.
- Favorite Travel Outfit: Me: When flying, I always wear something presentable. It’s astounding how differently you’re treated by the airlines if you’re dressed smartly; so leave the yoga pants and sweats for road trips. My kids: Matching outfits. They’re much easier to keep track of in crowds when dressed alike.
Follow Amy on Instagram: @amyleeg421